Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sinter:Q&A

Sinter,  in the studio. Photo courtesy of the artist.


"Challenges the boundries of commercial music. Providing a versatile delivery that's all my own. Pushing the limits of creativity that lacks in todays music!" 

Words from the man himself. Sinter speaks out.

SP What got you into music?

S: 
When I was younger, hip-hop had a story to tell. I’ve wanted to rap since I was the age of nine, but at that time I hadn’t discovered a story of my own. So I converted to writing poems, basically to get the girls. As my family struggled I began to write about that. At the age of fourteen, I met a group called “Kaution”. That was my first taste of placing a beat behind my poems. Ever since then, I was hook 

SP At what point did you step onto this path in earnest?


S: It took years before I took my musical talent serious. I had a friend who entered a freestyle battle in Atlanta when I was nineteen. He lost that battle, and the winner walked to the back of the club pumped! I battled that guy there, and by the time we were finished, the whole club was silent. Before I left, I had the number of every producer in the building. It was that defining moment I discovered I was better than most of my competition.
.
SP Clearly most of your influences are within the world of Hip-hop and Rap, but outside of these are there any others?


S: Like many I was exposed to R&B, jazz, gospel, and pop music. Such as: Sade, Rose Royce, BeBe & CeCe Winans, Michael Jackson, and The Art of Noise. Among these, I’ve developed a melody in the way I rhyme. This allows me to fudge with my delivery, ergo, “Versatile style

SP In the info part of your FB page it states, "Challenges the boundaries of commercial music..." How would you say you’re doing that?


S:  By steering away from punch line rap, which is common in today’s music. Not that I have anything against it, sounds nice but lacks direction. In my opinion majority of what’s being played sounds the same. You remember when the hair on your arm stands up after hearing something potent? That alone, is my focus for every song I complete.

SPWithin Rap and Hip-hop it seems filled with a lot of kats that are about the negative stereotypes of the industry, rather than talent. Do you think this is changing for the better?


S:  As long as people focus on the beat rather than the lyrics, I would have to say “No”. It’s not enough to be an artist; you have to be a movie star. The stereotypes such as: the way you dress, what you drive, or just the whole rock star lifestyle. It all represents a symbol of success, leaving no room to judge talent. There are a hand full of artist that are making a push from the gimmicks, such as; Nasir Jones, Lupe Fiasco, and J Cole to name a few. Unfortunately, originality has been a battle for some time. I might not notice much change now, but that’s what makes it all the more fun!

SP: Sinter, I'd have to agree with you on that and probably more. Thanks for taking the time my friend, I know your busy.


"Art is the reason, art is the way" Interview by K.K.W
Sinter, in the studio. Photo courtesy of the artist.

No comments: